education and experience
- Ph.D. International Development Education. Florida State University. (1988)
- M.S. Economics (International Development; Economics of Education). Florida State University. (1986)
- M.S. Educational Psychology (Research and Statistics). State University of New York at Albany (l977)
- B.A. Anthropology (Liberal Studies Program). University of Hawaii at Manoa (1975)
Professional and Academic Experience
note: For international consultancies, go to International Policy Development
- Bayoom Hub. 2010 – present
Chief Innovation Coordinator. [formerly Global Knowledge Institute]. Asocial enterprise specializing in collective, sustainable, learning culture. Thus far, the enterprise has successfully complete three grants spanning Korea and Africa. The team spans continents, professions and perspectives. The effort is built on knowledge-economic logic.
- Seoul National University/ College of Education. 2009 – 2018
Full Professor. Department of Education. Teach economic and international perspectives of learning viewed through a global perspective. Advise doctoral and master’s students.
- Florida International University/ College of Education. 2001 – 2008
(On leave 2005-2007 for Zambia project)
Associate Professor of International/Intercultural Education and Educational Policy. Founding Director of the Intercultural Institute for Educational Initiatives. Revamped international education program. Founding Director of graduate program in International/Intercultural Studies in Education.
- Chief of Party, Zambia, 2005-2007
Chief of Party for $17 million dollar project to design and implement strategic systems for the Ministry of Education, Zambia. Set up networked computer system countrywide, data management and collection system, research system, policy and planning system, HIV & AIDS mitigation system and system for top-level institutional management. (On leave from FIU during this time.)
- State University of New York at Buffalo/ Graduate School of Education. 1994-2001
(On leave 1994-1995 to Harvard Institute for International Development project in Jordan.)
Assistant Professor. Department of Education Leadership and Policy. Comparative and Global Studies in Education/ Economics of Education. Courses taught include Education in a Global Economy; Female Education in Comparative Perspective, Economics of Education; Comparative and Global Studies in Education; Education Policy Analysis. Advising/supervising Ph.D. students.
- Economic Advisor, Jordan. 1994-1995
Conducted economic survey of education system and training system across all Ministries in Jordan. Funded by World Bank through Harvard Institute for International Development. Worked out of the National Research Center for Human Resources, Amman, Jordan.
- State University of New York at Buffalo/ Graduate School of Education. 6/90- 7/94
Visiting Assistant Professor. Economics of Education/ International Development Education.
- University of Wisconsin – Madison/ Dept. of Sociology. 7/89-7/90.
Senior Researcher. Engaged in comparative research and data management in 10-country class structures and class-consciousness database. Member of the U.S./USSR. Academy of Sciences team researching comparative class and educational structures. Assisted in project development in new countries including questionnaire design and data structure. Advised advanced Sociology graduate students in statistical methods of comparative data set.
- University of Wisconsin – Madison / Center for Health Policy Evaluation. 9/89-7/90
Senior Researcher. Evaluated a Wisconsin State Health Insurance Pilot Program. Conceptualizing, organizing and implementing process evaluation on pilot projects. Coordinated various databases from private, state, local and university sources. Met with Dept. of Health personnel to determine policy/political implications and evaluation design modifications. Helped to implement cost and economic projection studies of the pilot programs.
- University of Zimbabwe/ U.S. Agency for International Development. 10/87-5/89.
Long-term Technical Assistant. Taught courses in advanced research and statistics, econometrics, economics of education, and computer applications. Part of five-member team sent to establish a Human Resource/Research Center for the University.
- Learning Systems Institute, Florida State University. 1/86-5/86.
Research Associate. Assisted in conceptualizing and outlining a monograph on educational efficiency in the Third World.
- Leon County School District, Dept. of Testing, Research & Evaluation. 7/84-11/85.
Evaluation Specialist. Prepared reports and policy analyses for Superintendent. Evaluated proposed research for schools. Recommended research studies for county schools and programs.
- Federated States of Micronesia. 1977-1979.
Coordinated testing, analyzed evaluation data and wrote reports for U.S. funded Title I program for the Chuuk State School System.
- College of Micronesia, Federated States of Micronesia. 9/77-12/78.
Faculty member. Taught Educational Psychology for the Chuuk State Extension Program.
- Xavier High School, Federated States of Micronesia.9/74-6/75.
Classroom teacher. Taught expository writing and English composition.